Friday, May 05, 2006

Jaded


My fucking internet went out. Two days, now. Anytime there’s a thunderstorm it goes kaput. So, I’m at the library, bleary-eyed and trying to file a trouble ticket and renew the damned crappy service [it expires tomorrow. I hate it, but I can’t live without it].

Also been thinking about other stuff I’m jaded about, but I guess the library is not the best place to get all het up about that. In that respect, being cut off from my fucking internet has probably been a blessing in disguise. Forces me to sit back with a bowl of ice cream and read Henry James’s The Portrait of a Lady instead. I love Henry James.

Tangent: Wouldn’t that be a great novel to turn into a teen movie? They did it with Clueless (modeled after, what was it, Sense and Sensibility?), a couple Julia Stiles vehicles (Othello and 10 Things I Hate About You, based on Taming of the Shrew), and most recently She’s The Man, which I think is based on Twelfth Night.

So you take Isabel Archer and you have her played by Julia Stiles or maybe a stringy Mischa Barton or someone, someone a weensy bit edgy but mostly cute. Then you toss in some wannabe hipster types, maybe a Jake Gyllenhaal, for the love interests and set the whole thing in, say, Madison, WI. Or fine, England, whatever.

Sigh. End tangent. Resume pissiness. See you all tomorrow, if the internet wills it.